Monday, July 14, 2008

ice cream and 350ml sodas!

We made it to Dar es Salaam (more commonly called 'Dar'), picked up a traveller, and have lost the trail for finding real/good coffee again.
The bus ride from Moshi to here was the best we've had yet! Great seats, free soda, candy, and beautiful landscape that reminded Lauren of something like Montana with palm trees. The road for the main part of the trip ran parellel to the Pare Mountain range. We are now back to the Indian side of the ocean, but have yet to see it--Dar is fairly big. This is our time to start adjusting, or rather taking immense pleasure in the western comforts of back home (to be fair, we kind of started already in Moshi). Drinking real coffee at a real coffee house, not terribly different from the favorite places at home was a start. We've been anxious to catch an American movie at a real movie theatre here in town. And, we're just being a bit lazier and relaxing more. We could even get hotdogs now if we wanted (i still don't). We need to get all this Americanization in though before we head off for Malawi to see Austin and Sara. No doubt it will be similar to time spent in the village, maybe a few less comforts and convenience.
And don't get me wrong, I love the simplicity of living here. I just get the cravings for home.
So, this day in Dar then we leave early tomorrow for the border and stay the night. Austing and Sara are meeting us in Mbaya and taking us to their village. We'll be there for a few days before coming back and making the long trec back to Nairobi. Probably a week or more before any word from me again. Take care all though!!
And, where is my Milo??
Peace,
Megan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you Megan. Sounds like you had better not get to use to the comforts, because the journey will be a changing once again.
I think the biggest change we saw in Jill was her simplicity. Guess once you get use to having little there it just stays with you.
Guess we won't be serving hot dogs any time soon!!!! :-))
Enjoy the rest of your trip and will see you on the 3rd.
Gina

Anonymous said...

I stopped at the Leader Office and Cathy showed me your latest blog.I normally ck it a dozen times a day but somehow I goofed this morning. Cathy would like to do a story on you and your trip. Glad to hear from you - Grams also sends her love. Pappy

Amy said...

Can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories...Christi want to scrapbook your trip!!!!perhaps I will help her =0)
counting down my days to Chicago until I get to see you!!!!
Love and hugs!!!!
Miss U
mom

Amy said...

Can't wait to see you! I am counting down the days until Saturday!!!!